Nepal needs your help!
And a city-wide bake sale needs city-wide support. Anyone and everyone is welcome and encouraged to donate baked items for the sale, which will take place on Saturday, May 23 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Sign-up to bake for any of the Austin Bakes for Nepal sale locations using the links below:
- DOWNTOWN Whole Foods Market Lamar, 525 N Lamar Blvd.
- CENTRAL Stiles Switch BBQ & Brew, 6610 N Lamar Blvd.
- NORTH Whole Foods Market Gateway, 9607 Research Blvd.
- SOUTH Whole Foods Market Arbor Trails, 4301 W William Cannon Dr.
- SOUTH Crema Bakery & Cafe, 9001 Brodie Lane
- SOUTH Whip In, 1950 IH35 South
- EAST Micklethwait Craft Meats,1309 Rosewood Ave, Austin, TX 78702 ***Due to rain, there will not be tables set up, but you can still purchase baked goods from the trailer.***
- EAST Springdale Farm, 755 Springdale Rd.
- WEST Whole Foods Market Bee Cave, 12601 Hill Country Blvd.
Make It Sweet Makes It Even Sweeter
Austin bake shop Make It Sweet has been a supporter of previous Austin Bakes fundraisers, and this time they will once again donate 25% of all ingredients and packaging supplies purchased for Austin Bakes for Nepal. Visiting their store at 9070 Research Blvd., Set 203, Austin, TX 78758 for all your baking needs is a great way to make your contribution go even farther. Simply mention “Austin Bakes” as you are checking out, through Friday May 22, and 25% of your purchase will be donated to the fundraiser.
What to Bake
What do you like to bake? What do you like to eat? The field is fairly wide open here, but there are some health code rules that need to be followed, as well as few best practices. Please follow these guidelines when determining what items you will donate:
- All items should be prepared in a clean, sanitary kitchen.
- No perishable items that require refrigeration are permitted at bake sales (for example: cheesecake, chocolate-dipped fresh fruit, cream or merengue pies).
- Homemade preserves such as jams, jellies, and pickles are allowed. However, avoid canned tomato items such as salsa as well as pumpkin and pear butters.
- All items must be individually wrapped. Large items such as cakes and pies can be sold as a whole or sliced into smaller pieces, provided each serving is in its own wrapper or container.
- All items should be labeled with the following information: what it is, whether it meets any special diet requirements (i.e. vegan, nut-free, paleo, gluten-free, dairy-free), who made it, a link to your website or blog of you have one.
For more information about what items are and are not allowed at bake sales, please refer to the Texas Cottage Food Law FAQ.
We need your help to reach our goal of raising $20,000 for AmeriCares to apply to disaster relief in Nepal. So let’s get baking Austin!
Coming soon: inspiration for recipes and packaging ideas!
Spread the Word!
Help us harness the power of the internet by sharing information about this bake sale and the various ways people can help:
- Use the hashtag #AustinBakes.
- Follow and share our Facebook account.
- Follow and share our Twitter account.
- Follow and tag our Instagram account.
- Post the link to the Austin Bakes for Nepal FirstGiving page, and encourage others to donate online.
- RSVP on the Facebook event page, and invite all your friends.
- Repost, regram, retweet, shout it from the mountain tops!