You may have heard by now that Austin is having a citywide bake sale for Australia Saturday, February 1st. What you might not know is who will receive 100% of the bake sale proceeds! We’ve selected Global Giving Australian Wildfire Relief Fund as the beneficiary for our physical bake sale and online donation page.
Global Giving is a highly-rated 501(c)3 nonprofit organization whose Wildfire Relief Fund is helping both people and animals impacted by the devastating wildfires. Charity Navigator has given Global Giving its highest rating for fiscal responsibility, accountability, and transparency. We are also pleased that, since Global GIving is a 501(c)3 nonprofit, all donations made by check or online via Austin Bakes online giving page are tax deductible.
100% of proceeds from Austin Bakes for Australia will be donated to Global Giving’s Australia Wildfire Relief Fund. Donations made by check should be made directly to Global Giving with “Australia” in the memo line. If you wish to give by credit card, simply make a donation to the Austin Bakes secure online giving page hosted by Global Giving. You’ll receive a tax receipt for your gift, and we’ll be happy to help you shop in person on Saturday, February 1st at any of the Austin Bakes for Australia locations across the city.
If you’d like to learn even more about what Global Giving’s Australia Wildfire Relief fund is doing to support wildfire relief efforts, you can follow their extensive reporting efforts online. Here is where Global Giving has dispersed the initial round of funds raised:
- Foodbank Australia is providing emergency food and groceries relief to individuals and families in crisis across all impacted states.
- Rural Fire Brigades Association Queensland is awarding grants directly to local fire brigade members in Queensland that have themselves been impacted by the deadly fires.
- NSW Wildlife Information Rescue & Education Service (WIRES) is expanding wildlife rescue and rehabilitation services across the organization’s 28 branches in New South Wales.
- Australia Zoo Wildlife Warriors is sending medical supplies to wildlife rescuers and carers in fire-affected areas, transporting (where permitted) animals to the Australia Zoo Wildlife Hospital for critical care, and constructing a climate-controlled intensive care ward for an ever-growing number of koala patients.
- Sydney Wildlife is providing ongoing wildlife rescue and rehabilitation at the organization’s Rehabilitation Facility and supporting the organization’s Mobile Care Unit for wildlife.
- Foundation for National Parks & Wildlife is growing its Wildlife Heroes Bushfire Emergency program that provides frontline wildlife rescuers and carers with first aid supplies, medicine, animal food, and psychosocial care due to working in traumatizing situations.
GlobalGiving is also providing direct support to the Australian Red Cross and World Central Kitchen in close collaboration with their corporate partners, Ford Motor Company and 3M.
Although the photos and news out of Australia can be an overwhelming reminder of how great the need is, we’re hope you are as heartened as we are to support Global Giving in their mission. Please join us by volunteering for Austin Bakes or making a secure gift online today!