In response to the devastation of recent natural disasters, Austin Bakes for Disaster Relief on Nov. 4 will benefit Direct Relief, a humanitarian organization that provides emergency response and healthcare assistance programs to those impacted by emergencies or poverty.
Here’s why we’re thrilled to raise money for this important work (all stats are for the fiscal year 2016):
- CNBC ranked Direct Relief #1 in its Top 10 Charities Changing the World in 2016.
- Direct Relief is active in all 50 states and over 80 countries.
- Direct Relief provided $760.3 million of support in the form of humanitarian medical material aid. This included 1,813 tons of medications, vaccines, and supplies through 11,146 deliveries to partner organizations.
- Direct Relief also provided $4.4 million in financial support to several partner organizations, in both the U.S. and internationally, to respond to crises, rebuild damaged facilities, provide training for frontline health workers, and extend care to more patients who lack other options.
- In Liberia and Sierra Leone, Direct Relief provided more than 100,000 expectant or recent moms with prenatal vitamins. It also provided thousands of cervical cancer screenings and vaccinations to women in Peru, Haiti, and Nepal.
Our goal is to raise $10,000 for Direct Relief, so we need your help. Sign up to bake goodies for the bake sale or volunteer to help at one of the locations below. We especially need volunteers for our Downtown location.
The current list of bake sale locations includes:
- South: Crema Bakery & Cafe, 9001 Brodie Ln B3, Austin, TX 78748
- Buda: Nate’s, 306 S Main St, Buda, TX 78610
- Downtown: Whole Foods Market Downtown, 525 N Lamar Blvd, Austin, TX 78703
- North: Whole Foods Market Domain, 11920 Domain Dr, Austin, TX 78758
- Cedar Park: 365 by Whole Foods, 5001 183A Toll Rd, Cedar Park, TX 78613